The Ghost Chili Pepper (Bhut Jolokia) may look like a little wrinkled whoopee cushion, but this pepper is no joke. Native to India, it’s one of the hottest peppers in the world. This 2"-3" conical fruit ripens from green to orange to red, with a sweet, fruity flavor that you’ll be able to taste for about 30-45 seconds until the heat creeps in and lights your mouth on fire. And then it gets really hot for 10-15 minutes, finally subsiding after 30-40 minutes. Take care when handling, as the thin skin tears easily. Use the pepper as you dare.
- Supercalifragilistically hot
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Capsicum chinense
- Pepper length: 2"-3"
- Scoville heat units (SHU): 800,000-1,000,000!/smear-it-on-a-fence-to repel-wild-elephants HOT!
- Plant support: Tomato cage or stake
- Depth to plant seeds: .25" deep
- Spacing between plants: 18"-24" apart
- Spacing between rows: 24"-36" apart
- Days to germinate (sprout): 7-28 days
- Germination soil temps: 75F-85F
- Soil needs: 6.0-7.0 pH
- Sun needs: Full sun
- Frost hardy: No
- Planting season: Spring, summer
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per sq. ft.
- Days to maturity: 90-110 days
Good companion plants: Basil, Carrot, Cucumber, Eggplant, Okra, Rosemary, Sage, Squash, Tomato
- HYBRID - Open-Pollinated/Non-GMO
|All Peppers ⟐ Hot Peppers||📚 Hot Peppers Grow Guide|
* THE SEED SHOP *
THE PERFECT GIFT FOR ANY OCCASION
Gift a membership to the Monthly Seed Club: http://www.urbanorganicgardener.club Choose from 1, 3, 6, or 12-month pre-pay membership options
You may also like
Discover more variety for your vegetable garden
CONTINUE SHOPPINGENTER THE SEED SHOP ➜